Sunday, April 20, 2008

Whangarei

27th November 2007


I took a large portion of the headlining down the other day and cleaned-up the rear side, scratched away the rusty staples, replaced the velcro and have stuck some of the pieces back. It then rained hard and I was able to find 2 leaks; one coming in through a small crack between the hatch cover and the deck and the other coming from around the base of a hatch. Each has already caused some damage to the varnish on the wooden beams that needs sanding and varnishing and I am already in the process of sanding the hatch surrounds so the opportunity to get the headlining off is useful so that I can varnish properly. The main leak is so far eluded me but I will have a proper hunt once the chain is out of the chain locker and I can organise to get the front cabing taken apart.


In order to get the headlining down around the hatches, I needed to remove the curtain rails that are rebated into teak holders. The tiny screws would not move and eventually broke the head off my smallest screwdriver. All of these had to then be drilled out. Simple jobs taking a long time!!


The rigger came back with my jumper stays and has made a stainless steel bracket that bolts between the 2 mini-spreaders so that they are more secure. So the rigging work is now done except that I need to go up the mast and swap halyards over so that the main jib halyard is spectra rather than the wire one that currently exists.
I spent some time getting the hatch covers off - the pins that act as hinges needed some pursuading to drift them out and I removed the windows from the front of the cabin. We then rang the glazing guy who picked them up immediately for re-glazing. I had also taken off the leaky hatch base and he gave me some black gunk to seal it down with. After much preparation and masking, I dared to start squirting the black tar over the hatch and its base and I am very pleased at the way it went. The hatch windows are due back on Friday.


We decided to invest in a sander (a "mouse" variety). We went to the big hardware store who sold them but did not stock the sanding pads. So we went to the tool shop instead but they only sold the pads but not the sander, so we went back to the hardware store again..... It certainly helps and I have now started varnishing the hatch surrounds.


The dehumidifier is working well and the boat feels much drier. The woodwork around the kitchen that has no varnish left has started to lighten up in colour and shows that it is drying out. I will be able to start the sanding and re-varnishing as soon as we are lifted out.


We have been able to stay here at Riverside Marina until we lift out tomorrow. This is thanks to Southwind III (Terry and Violet) who are currently on the hard. They agreed to stay on the hard for a few extra days so there was room for us until we want to leave. The wind has been howling here for the past couple of days causing white water on the river but is due to settle down tomorrow when we get hauled out. It will be "interesting" as we have to moor against a couple of piles in an unmarked channel whilst we wait for the boatyard to reverse the trailer down and get the cradle ready for pulling us out. The tidal range is about 2.5 metres and we have to be in situ at 1 hour before HW (at 11:30 tomorrow).


The sun has been shining here after the rain of a couple of days ago. I am hoping that it continues so that the plastic sheeting over the hatches does not get tested. The sun is much more vicious here than in the tropics and you can feel it burning. I think it is due to the ozone hole here. There is a notice in the laundry here that advertises melanoma checks locally and I think it is worthwhile going for a checkup whilst we are here.

Riverside Marina Outlook


Fliss has spent some time this morning doing her packing. It all seems a bit odd that she is leaving on Saturday. It does however let me get on with some of the jobs that make a real mess (the kitchen) and she has got me prepared with all the take-out menus. We ordered pizza delivered yesterday - a large one costs $9 (about £3.50) and is big enough for dinner and lunch the next day! So, I am hoping not to need to do much in the kitchen whilst I am working in that area.

No comments: